Memoirs of a Financial Warrior – About my professional achievements
Looking back in retrospect.
- Started Wall Street career working in the Wealth Management Group of American Express Private Bank building its Middle East portfolio from $20 million when joined the firm in 1984 to over $300 million in 1986.
- I moved to Drexel Burnham Lambert in 1986 working in the firm’s High Yield Bond Department under the tutelage of junk bond czar Michael Milken. Among the deals financed during this time were T. Boone Pickens’ failed runs at Gulf Oil and Unocal, Carl Icahn’s bid for Phillips 66, Ted Turner’s buyout of MGM/UA, and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts successful bid for RJR Nabisco.
- From 1992 till 2005, put together an investment group to buy a major stake in broker/dealer Coleman Securities and went on initiating a series of funds and buyout groups in excess of $1.2 billion offerings one-stop senior and mezzanine financing for financial sponsors, using high yield bonds and leveraged loans as take-out securities.
- By 2000, I joined an Internet incubator and became a member of the executive team responsible for evaluating potential investment opportunities and allocating significant capital to early-stage technology firms. Conceived, funded capital, and acquired core assets for dot com companies. Recruited management teams; designed governance and equity incentives. Sourced, negotiated and closed bridge financing, Series A and Series B capital for eight companies. Served as Chief Strategy Officer for three of them
- One transaction I financed which am particularly proud of is the funding of one of the earliest Internet search sites in the Middle East. Company was Al comhttp://www.albawaba.com/ which happened against all odds as it was run by Israelis and funded by Arabs. I could humbly say that this one of a kind transaction would have never happened if not for my actual and active involvement. Something I would say was pretty controversial back in 1999 and clearly against the norm.
- Featured in 2006 in the Business Section of the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/business/worldbusiness/01wall.html?ex=1312084800&en=1e1b953763894507&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&_r=1& as a key Lebanese American player on Wall Street.
- Started late 2008 Blackhawk Partners, Inc., a private “family office” in the business of originating, structuring & acting as equity investor in management-led buyouts, strategic equity investments, consolidations, growth capital financings, & trading key physical commodities.
- Put together since then an “investment club” of 23 top family offices from the US, Europe, and the Middle East; to partner, co-invest and trade alongside Blackhawk Partners in private equity and physical commodities transactions spanning the globe. Recruited a team of 18 professional partners to oversee global execution. Established C-level relationships with banks, corporate, institutional investor and private equity clients both in the US and in leading the Middle East, European & Asian markets.
- Positioned the Firm as one of the leading traders in oil derivative, gold bullion, and iron ore related transactions. Blackhawk is, in fact, turning today into a highly diversified firm that trades and markets over 15 bulk commodities in over 25 countries.
- 2012-Present: Currently serves as an Advisory Board Member of DPG Investments https://www.dpginvestments.com/index.php/advisors/ziad-k-abdelnour advising the company regarding the structuring of complex financial transactions targeting private equity funds, hedge funds, REITS, equity portfolios, private merchant banks, pension funds, and life companies.
- Appeared in August 2014 on FOX News as a key oil analyst on recent Middle East events discussing the ISIS situation and how best to deal with them. Full details in here https://video.foxnews.com/v/3743684420001/#sp=show-clips
- Featured in 2016 as one of the Top 500 Most influential CEOs in the world https://richtopia.com/inspirational-people/500-ceos
Over my 30+ year career in finance, I can humbly say that I have backed over 125 companies & serial entrepreneurs during the time period worth in aggregate over 20 billion dollars in the private equity, high yield bond and distressed debt markets and contributed to the creation of at least 100,000 jobs and many billions of dollars in wealth creation to both trading firms and serial entrepreneurs.
By: Ziad K Abdelnour
Ziad Abdelnour is also the author of the bestselling book Economic Warfare: Secrets of Wealth Creation in the Age of Welfare Politics (Wiley, 2011) and of the upcoming book Startup Saboteurs: How Incompetence, Ego, and Small Thinking Prevent True Wealth Creation coming out in May 2020.
Mr. Ziad Abdelnour continues to be featured in hundreds of media channels and publications every year and is widely seen as one of the top business leaders by millions around the world.
He was also featured as one of the 500 Most Influential CEOs in the World.